Cemeteries Lower Austria

BADEN

Ältester Teil des Friedhofs in Baden At around 14,000 m², and thus the largest Jewish cemetery in Lower Austria, it has existed from 1873 until today. The 2,200 persons buried in the cemetery include members of the Jewish community of Baden, as well as guests from all parts of the Danube Monarchy who died during a spa treatment in Baden.
The Chevra Kadisha in Baden cooperates with the Jewish Community of Baden bei Wien to maintain the cemetery.

More information: www.juedischegemeinde.at

Baden, Halsriegelstrasse 2
A 2 to Exit Baden – B 210 direction towards Helenental until the turnoff to Friedhof (the cemetery). Across the parking lot at the Catholic consecration hall at Halsriegelstrasse turn left.

Keys can be obtained in the secretariat of the Jewish Community of Baden, +43 2252/252530-0.
Office hours: Mo-Fri. 09 – 13.00 (office@juedischegemeinde.at)

BAD PIRAWARTH

The local cemetery’s 85 m² Jewish section (walled area to the right of the main entrance) was created at the latest in 1879. The last burial took place in 1938. The deceased were members of the established Jewish families in Bad Pirawath.
The Bad Pirawath municipality maintains the cemetery.

B 7 (Brünnerstraße) until the turn off to Kollnbrunn after Pirawarth – I[ the hill to the local church’s parking lot to the cemetery entrance
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

BRUCK / LEITHA

In 2003, the city archives rediscovered the death certificates of 155 Hungarian Jewish slave laborers that had been killed by inhumane working conditions and ill treatment. The certificates had been ignored for many years.
On 29 March 2009, the municipality unveiled a new grave and memorial.

DEUTSCH WAGRAM

The 1838 m² large cemetery was dispossessed by the Nazis and given to the Deutschen Reichsbahn (“German Reich Railway”) as an operating site. No gravestones are preserved. Only a memorial plaque on a small hill at the entrance (gate) commemorates the dead buried here.
Despite urgent appeals to the Deutsch–Wagram municipality, the site is unkempt.

A 23 to the end – B 8 to Deutsch–Wagram, turn at (traffic light) after Bockfließ, over railroad crossing, then left on second street (Viktor-Kaplan Strasse) to the end and then turn left onto Fabrikstraße.
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

DÜRNKRUT

The 1,661 m² large cemetery adjacent to the local cemetery was bought in 1904 by the Chevra Dadischa of Dürnkrut. Access possible through the lane to Waldbad (entrance on the north side of the wall).
The Dürnkrut municipality should maintain the cemetery (alleged oral care agreement).
However, despite urgent appeals, the cemetery appears to be neglected. In the past, villagers, through their own initiative and funds, have mowed the grass.

A 23 to end – B8 to Angern – B 49 to the edge of Dürnkrut, turn left to the local cemetery and Waldbad.
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

GÄNSERNDORF

The 1,485 m² large cemetery with 120 graves was created in 1884. The last burial took place in June 1938. The deceased had belonged to the Gänserndorf Jewish community.
The Gänserndorf municipality and the Verein Helikon maintain the cemetery in exemplary conditions.

Guided tours: May to October, on first Sunday of month at 14.30 clock.
A 23 to the end – B 8 on Straßhof / Silberwald until km 29, at the edge of Gänserndorf, turn right on the main road (sign is posted)
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

GÖTTSBACH

The 2,791 m² large cemetery was founded in the middle of the 19th century. The Jewish community of Ybbs and from the southern and western Waldviertel region buried their dead here. Because of a lack of knowledge of their exact location, the gravestones discovered after 1945 were set up again in a double row in the center of the cemetery.
A caretaker who lives on the premises maintains the cemetery.

A 1 to Exit Ybbs turn towards Göttsbach

GROSS-ENZERSDORF

The 1,180 m² large cemetery was founded in 1889. The last funeral took place in 1938. The cemetery has 86 gravesites that appear to have been damaged by vandals.
The cemetery appears to be unkempt.

A 23 until Exit Stadlau-Aspern-Essling – Groß-Enzersdorf, Danube Oderkanal turn on to Neuoberhausen, after 500 meters on the left.
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

HOHENAU

Until the establishment of the cemetery in 1879 the deceased of small Jewish communities were buried in their home community or transferred to St. Johann an der March (Moravský Svätý Ján, Slovakia). The 1,811 m² walled area contains about 110 tombstones. The last burial took place in December 1937.
The Hohenau municipality maintains the cemetery.

A 23 to the end – B 8 to Angern – B 49 to Hohenau, from Rathausplatz (information board) over the rail crossing, turn left on to Wachtelgasse.
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

HOLLABRUNN

The cemetery is located just outside the city. The last burial took place in 1978.
The municipality agreed to maintain the cemetery and the general condition is good.

A 22 to Stockerau – B 303 to Hollabrunn
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

HORN

The Jewish community of Horn built the 1,219 m² large cemetery in 1873. In its 107 graves, 177 deceased have been buried. The last burial was in 1938.
There is a need for renovation, the condition has worsened recently.

A 2 to Stockerau – B 4 to Horn.

KLOSTERNEUBURG

The cemetery was founded in 1873 by the Chevra Kadisha of Klosterneuburg. It was recently transferred to the Chevra Kadisha of the IKG. The 3,294 m² site has 652 graves.
The association Komitee zur Erhaltung des jüdischen Friedhofs Klosterneuburg (Committee for the preservation of the Klosterneuburg Jewish cemetery) http://www.juedischerfriedhof.at strives to maintain and rehabilitate the site. At the new part of the cemetery extensive measures of reorganization could be set by them.

B 14 in the direction towards Kritzendorf until Holzgasse
Contact: City Council Representative, Martina Enzmann Tel 0664/3400 017 Ms Barbara Eckstein, City Hall Phone 02243/444 307

KORNEUBURG

Since 1915, the city cemetery has used a distinct horticultural border to mark a Jewish section to the right of the main entrance (in the corner) at Stockerauer Straße. The Jewish section maintained by the village cemetery administration has 9 tombstones and 12 funerary slabs donated by the Chevra Kadisha.
The maintenance condition is excellent.

A 22 to Korneuburg Ost, turn left, through Korneuburg towards Stockereau, left at the Stockerauer Straße
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

KREMS

The 20,980 m² large cemetery built in 1860 has 500 gaves, including the graves of those who were buried in another cemetery before 1938. In 1995 at the initiative of the “Vereins zur Erhaltung des jüdischen Friedhofs in Krems” (Association to preserve the Jewish cemeteries in Krems) a memorial was built to those Jews from Krems who were victims of the Shoah.
The cemetery is maintained by prisoners of the Stein penal institution with the support of Vienna’s Jewish Community. An initiative of Dr.Robert Streibel will seek to ensure restoration of the cemetery (see also www.streibel.at and www.judeninkrems.at)

A 1 to S 33 to Exit Krems, or A 22-B 3 to Krems. The cemetery is located within the exit cloverleaf.

MARCHEGG

Since at least 1887, the city cemetery has had a Jewish section. In 1938, the 203 m² large burial ground was leveled, the stones were stolen and the last tombstone was taken in 1958. In 2004, a memorial was placed outside the cemetery wall at the lower exit.

A 23 to the end – B8 through Gänserdorf, Weikendorf towards Marchegg, from the Hauptstraße (Main Street) turn left (sign: Friedhof) on to Rohrwassergasse until the end of the street.

Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

MICHELNDORF

The 344 m² large cemetery was created in 1888 and is difficult to find in woods off the main road. It only has five gravestones made from sandstone. The other gravestones were stolen by a stonemason from Tulln in 1938 and used for purposes other than their original intentions. The thief also burned down the small mortuary house.
After years of neglect, in 2009, the local community cleaned the forest cemetery. A citizen’s initiative seeks to improve the location.

B 1 to 2 km after Mitterndorf (1 km before Michelndorf), turn left to Burchhart Bauernhof (farm), Waldkloster, about 200 meter walk through the forest.
Contact: Mag.Ingrid Oberndorfer 0660/5577804

MISTELBACH

The cemetery founded in 1898 has 112 graves. The first burial took place in 1900; the last was in 1938. The municipality Mistelbach maintains the cemetery.

B 7 (Brünnerstraße) to the Schrick turnoff – follow L 46 to and through Mistelbach (Oberhofer Straße), turn right across the bridge and turn left onto Waldstraße 104.
Contact: Christa Jakob +43/2572-4554 or 0676-7414985,
Ida Olga Höfler +43/2282-2115 or 0676-7287931

MÖDLING

The first funeral at the 3203 m² large cemetery took place in 1876. Up until 1938, 373 Jews from Mödling and the surrounding communities were buried here.
Unfortunately, the municipality Mödling was not yet ready to sign a maintenance agreement to date, which is a prerequisite for beginning a renovation.

A 2 to Wiener Neudorf – B 17 until exit, then turn right to Mödling.

NEULENGBACH

The 683 m² large cemetery was created in 1871 by the local minyan. Today, it has 71 graves. During World War II, 15 tombstones were confiscated by the municipality and sold.
The municipality Neulengbach now maintains the cemetery. The conditions are unsatisfactory.

A 1 to Altlengbach, L 19 to Neulengbach, Almersbergstraße.

NEUNKIRCHEN

Until the establishment of the cemetery at the end of the 19th Century, the deceased of the community were buried in what was west Hungary, in Kobersdorf or Lackenbach. The cemetery has an area of 2,830 meters and has 150 graves.

A 2 to Wiener Neustadt Süd – B 17 to Neunkirchen.

OBERSTOCKSTALL

This cemetery was founded in 1887 and served as a burial site for the Jewish community of Kirchberg am Wagram and the surrounding villages. It has 43 graves.
The Kirchberg municipality maintains it in an unsatisfactory condition.

A 22 to Stockerau – B 3 to Kirchberg /Wagram, country road to Oberstockenstall, 1.5 km towards Ruppersthal or B 1 to Ried/Riederberg – Tulln-B 3

ST. PÖLTEN

The cemetery in today’s provincial capital was founded in 1895 by the St. Polten Chevra Kadisha. It borders on the city’s cemetery and has a size of over 6,205 m² with 181 graves.
With state funding, it was renovated in 1996 and since then has been maintained by the city of St. Pölten.

A 1 to St. Pölten Süd, through the city in the direction of Krems, after the train underpass, left at the first traffic light (park at the municipal cemetery). On foot to the cemetery or – if, one has a key to the cemetery – in the Karlstettenerstraße turn at the cemetery gate.

ST. PÖLTEN OLD

There are no longer any gravestones. One finds a memorial stone in the middle of a green area. Efforts are underway to publish a list of those who have been buried in the cemetery on a stone.
This site is maintained by the municipality.

Contact: Dr. Christoph Lind
Institut für Erinnerungskultur und historische Intervention
+43 (0) 676 729 12 72
mail: c.lind@utanet.at

STOCKERAU

The 1,823 m² large cemetery has 136 graves. In 1874, the local minyan purchased the ground to establish a cemetery.
The cemetery is now maintained by the city of Stockerau. Stockerau was the first – followed by Deutschkreuz – and the only municipality in Lower Austria that imediatedy signed a contract concerning the care of the cemetery („Pflegevereinbarung“) after the law had been passed. It did not wait for respective recommodations from the Association of Austrian Cities and Towns which are not to be expected before 2012. Therefore, the cemetery Stockerau will be the first one to be renovated in Lower Austria.
A 22 to Stockerau West.
Contact: Ida Olga Höfler
+43/2282-2115 or +43/676-7287931

TULLN

The small cemetery has only a few gravestones. Symbolic gravestones have been set up to evoke the true character of the cemetery. A memorial notes the fate of the Jewish inhabitants of the city and the cemetery.

B 1 to Ried/Riederberg- L 213, 34 km or A 22 to Stockerau – B 4 – B 19, Frauentorstraße-Paracelsusstraße.

WAIDHOFEN/TH.

The 1203 m² large cemetery was founded at the end of the 19th century. It has 171 graves.
The municipality of Waidhofen cares for the cemetery.

A 22 to Stockerau – B 4 to Horn – B 303 – B 5 to Waidhofen

WIENER NEUSTADT

The first burial in the cemetery took place in 1889, the last in 1938. The city government of Wiener Neustadt cares for the cemetery with 250 graves. Five restored medieval tombstones were installed in summer 2009.
In 2009, an extensive restoration was developed by the initiative “Aktion Kulturdenkmal Jüdischer Friedhof Wiener Neustadt”.

A 2 to Exit Wöllersdorf – B 21 to the cemetery
Contact: werner_sulzgruber@hotmail.com

ZWETTL

At the end of the 19th century, the cemetery on the slope of Galgenberg was created as part of the later Syrnauer cemetery. Only 14 gravestones are preserved.
The cemetery is maintained by the municipality of Zwettl.

A 22 to Stockerau – B 4 to Horn – B 38 to Zwettl, 125 km, or A 1 to St. Pölten — S 33 to Krems – B 37 through Gföhl to Zwettl, access via Schillerstraße after Syrnau